Monday 18 November 2013

Sunday roast: topside of beef

Not a nice Monday morning at the dentist. Being sofa ridden with a numb eye and aching jaw after 4 fillings, I thought I would show the roast beef I made last night.




I was impressed by how little time it needed cooking - it's certainly an easy joint to roast but the expense of it means that my usual chicken roast is more affordable. But having friends over and enjoying great food together was worth all the fuss. 

The creamed leeks I made are also amazing for a roast - just fry 3 large leeks with 3 gloves of garlic until soft then add a small tub of cream with 2 handfuls of cheese (I chose one handful of Parmesan and one of cheddar). Reduce the cream slightly and then put into an oven proof dish, top with a bit more cheese, and then roast for 15-20 mins until golden. It's a good dish to go with a roast because you can get it ready for the oven beforehand and then put in with the Yorkshires at the end.

Also, this weekend, I've had stew at my mums house - it was just as good as I remember - but it tastes better than it looks!


So, while I'm on a Liquid diet until I can feel my face again, I will be thinking about all the lovely things I can cook. I'm thinking of making stuffed ravioli with mushrooms and beef from the leftover from yesterday's roast...watch this space...

ZP x

No comments:

Post a Comment