Tuesday 22 March 2011

New Seasonal Recipe for Spring!

I visited my local shop and bought some local seasonal treats to make for my dinner. As promised, I shall show you my new recipe. The seasonal produce I have used are: lettuce, chicory, radishes and pomegranates.
With these in mind, I'd thought I'd make a salad. Also, in relation to my last post on Artichokes, I found some Jerusalem Artichokes so I thought I could use them too:

Spring Salad

Ingredients

Serves 2 rather hungry people

Vension, Duck breasts or Rump Steak of Beef (I have rump steak today)
1 head of Lettuce
2 heads of Chicory
Handful of Dill
1 Pomegranate
Pack of Radishes
4 Jerusalem Artichokes
Salt, Pepper
6 Bay Leaves
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
Teaspoon of sugar
A Lemon
Half a teaspoon of Wholegrain Mustard
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
Knob of Butter

Peel and chop Artichokes to inch cube pieces and throw in a hot pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Fry for a few minutes then place a lid on and leave for 20-25 mins, tossing every few minutes.
Coat Beef Steak with remaining oil, and some salt and pepper. Fry in another frying pan to your taste (I suggest Medium-rare). Rest meat in foil for ten minutes while you prepare the salad:
Tear salad leaves and chicory onto bowl, slice radishes very thinly, roughly chop dill. Mix together on serving plate.
In a little bowl mix together the mustard, half the juice of a lemon, 5 tablespoons of oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
Sprinkle as much dressing as you like onto the leaves and toss through with hands.
Slice open pomegranate and bang (very hard) on the back of the halves to empty the pips out. Then sprinkle on top of salad.

Add warm artichoke.
Place beef on top.
Sprinkle with more dressing if desired and keep the rest in the fridge for your next salad.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment